The medieval castle of Taxo d’Avall is solidly built on several hectares of fortified estate with Roman remains. Its construction is estimated around the 11th century. It contains a chapel, two semi-circular corner towers and other remains of a crenellated enclosure. The castle was the residence of a lineage holding the title of Viscount of Roussillon between 1050 and 1172. After the disappearance of the title of Viscount, several Lords of Tatzo succeeded each other from 1173 to about 1948. The first families of lords to live there were the De Tatzo family, who enlarged the castle, followed by Louis XIV and Louis XVI. Its last owner was Marc Jurjus, the mayor of Argeles from 1800 to 1813.